I Can See Russia from my House

Did you catch the opening skit of Saturday Night Live last weekend, with Tina Fey playing her doppelganger Sarah Palin and Amy Poehler reprising her role as Hillary Clinton? Hysterical. And, sadly, dead-on. Watch it here.

Last weekend was a political one for us, with R. having the idea to have a cookie & juice stand outside our apartment building to raise money for Barack Obama’s campaign (“I’m a member of the Democrack party!” is her latest adorable malaprop). In 2 hours last Saturday afternoon, we raised $28 to send to the Obama campaign (R. kept a couple of quarters for herself). For the most part, the passerbys were very amused by the sight of my civic-minded 5-year-old selling Pillsbury cookies and juiceboxes on the corner of 1st Avenue, and many stopped to engage in political discussions with us. I like that my daughter’s first time having a lemonade stand took a political spin!

This entry was posted in political stuff. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to I Can See Russia from my House

1. Elisabeth says:

This is fantastic! My almost two year old son was running around the house last night screaming “Oh-bama!” at the top of his lungs!

2. houseofestrogen says:

Oh my gosh! That is just too stinkin’ cute!!! Love it!

3. Anonymous says:

nothing better than when I ask my two year-old boys who they are voting for and they scream, “McCain!!!”

4. Hammertime says:

R Rocks! Her mommy has taught her well :-)

5. Anonymous says:

another momma for obama here! my little one is now saying look mommy it’s an obama sign!

6. morethanmom says:

When I went to vote in the primaries, my daughter said she was voting for celery Clinton and my son said he was voting for Barakie Obama. (Basically because one is a boy and one is a girl.)

Now they are saying “my mama is for Obama!” around the house. I am glad they are seeing how important it is to vote.

7. Debbie Dubrow says:

I love this idea & we are going to do it ourselves this weekend! What a great way to get out and interact with other moms.

8. Anonymous says:

Love the blog… You had me until Obama…

9. Anonymous says:

Why not let kids be kids and leave the politics to adults?