I’ve mentioned before how my kids–particularly my son–are fussy about sunscreen. They don’t gloppy or heavily-scented lotions and prefer wipes or sprays. However, we have had a hard time finding those that still offer adequate protection (S. is quite fair and SPF 15 isn’t enough for him) and are unscented. So I jumped at the chance recently to learn more about MDSolarSciences, a complete line of sun protection launched by Dr. Bob Friedman, the leading dermatologic oncologist in New York City and a renowned professor at NYU School of Medicine. Dr. Friedman has over 30 years’ experience in treating (and preventing) skin cancer and a group of bloggers (including myself) learned so much from him at a recent luncheon.
Did you know that:
– Most people do just fine with SPF 30 or above…SPFs like 60 or 70 are mostly a marketing ploy, and the additional protection is really negligible.
– People of ALL skin tones need sun protection. Dr. Friedman has treated many patients with darker skin tones who get skin cancer on places like their palms, or soles of their feet (do you remember to put sunscreen on those areas?)
– You need sun protection year-round, not just on warm sunny days. While UBV rays (the rays that burn- as in “B”) are indeed stronger on summer days between 10am and 4pm, equally damaging UVA rays (the rays that age your skin- as in “A”) are present no matter what. This was a real eye opener for me.
– Do not use tanning beds, no matter what. They are proven to cause skin cancer and wrinkling.
– Sunscreen does NOT need to have any scent, or greasy feel. The most important ingredients are Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide.
Which brings me to my next point….
MD Sunscreen products include No Touch Body Spray (SPF 40), Ultra-Sport Stick (SPF 40), Ultra Mineral Screen Gel (SPF 50+) and Mineral Screen Gel (SPF 30+( provide broad spectrum protection from both UVB (“Burning” rays) and UVA (“Aging” rays). They are all made from natural ingredients. The best feature, though, for me and my kids is that they go on entirely smoothly and you do not feel like you are wearing sunscreen after that. No grease, no residue, no scent. For kids with sensory issues, this is the way to go. Most of the MDSolarsciences products are also safe for both children and adults (I’ve been using the same one, the 40+ SPF Mineral Screen Lotion) on all 3 of us.
The downside? The price, of course. It ain’t cheap. But what else is worth spending this money on? Personally, I’d rather buy a $36 tube of 40+ SPF Mineral Screen Lotion that my kids will tolerate well than spend $12 on Coppertone that I will barely get onto them because they are running away from me when it’s time to apply it.
Check out the entire product line at MDSolarSciences.
I received MDScolarSciences product samples but no compensation for this post. The views expressed are entirely my own.