Here We Go Again

I love Green Toys dearly as a company (anyone who can make awesome kids’ toys out of recycled milk jugs is a winner in my book), but, really, are all of these pink toys a good idea? Yes, I’m bringing this up again. I just don’t think it is necessary–or wise, for that matter–to entice girls to playing with trucks, tools and the like by making them pink. What do you think?

Pink Dump Truck (“Stay pretty in pink while getting down and dirty!”) and Pink Tool Set at Green Toys.

This entry was posted in eco-friendly, toys, trends. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Here We Go Again

1. Anonymous says:

I bought my 16 month old daughter this dump truck for Hannukah more for the fact that my four year old and seven year old sons got a kick out of the fact that it was was a pink dump truck. I do not see any problem with the fact the truck is pink. As for the tools, I am not running to buy them but who cares what color they are.

2. Anonymous says:

Real dump trucks are yellow…'nuf said.

3. Anonymous says:

I generally agree with your thoughts, however when I think back to getting a pink Tonka Truck when I was young I remember being in 7th heaven! I loved that it distinguished my truck from my brother's truck, and I still talk about it.

4. Anonymous says:

I think it's cute. My daughter likes to pretend that she is fixing things with tools and would love to have have a girly set.

5. Aimee K. says:

I just don't understand why toys need to be pink in order for girls to play with them. I have a son and now a daughter. She has some pink toys that were given as gifts (a doll house, strollers, ride on toy), but she doesn't like them just because they are pink. She just as quickly takes her brother's blue stroller or yellow truck. She loves his tool set and it is the Home Depot set in orange. Even my 5 yr old questions why "girl toys" are pink. It is just a way for toy companies to make more money. As a preschool teacher, I think it sends the wrong message. In my classroom I would never have toys divided into "boy toys" or "girl toys" so why should I do that at home? All of our toys at home are for both of my children to play with. I am not buying pink toys for my daughter. She is perfectly happy playing with "real" cars, trucks, tools and Legos! This family prefers the originals.

6. Sarah says:

As a preschool teacher, I'm not for or against. However, I do know that many of my girls will spend their free time in the art center or pretend play- all great skills to practice. But if just changing the color of a truck or tool set can entice them to try the block area and create a road or construct a building, I can only see the benefits of them engaging in new types of play to support different developmental domains.