Last month, I was honored to serve again as a judge of the Baby & Child Division of NY Now, the country’s largest trade show of home, lifestyle, and gift products, held at Pier 54. You can read which new baby & child products won top prizes; many overlap with my personal favorites shown below (in no particular order): I’ve provided links to buy the products whenever available, but please note that some of these haven’t reached retail stores yet:
1) Cosmic UFO by Cloud B (Finalist in Best Decor). Cloud B will soon introduce a kid and tween-friendly UFO version of its popular nightlight/music system.
2) Plan Toys Table + Chair (Winner, Best Decor). Plan Toys, one of my favorite companies for quality wooden toys, has made a sleek kids’ table and chairs. I love the modern bent wood design and the practicality (two compartments for storage, and a desk top that includes a chalk surface).
3) Innobaby EZ Grip Massaging Fruit Teether Set ($20.99 at Amazon.com, Winner, Best Gear). How adorable is this set of three fruit teethers? The unique flexible design lets babies reach all parts of their mouths for gentle massage and comfort. Of course, these are non-toxic, plus dishwasher and freezer safe.
4) Pop-Up House Fort by Nhocci (Winner, Best Toy). This NYC company has a winner with its portable, packable, hand-embroidered play fort. It is made of 100% cotton and even hangs for easy storage.
5) Nini and Pumpkin Moon Cocoon ($125, Finalist in Best Gear). This cleverly-designed product functions throughout infancy and childhood as playmat and wearable blanket.
6) Kids Apron Set ($45) by Odette Williams (Finalist in Best Toy). No ordinary kids’ apron set, this quality design by New Yorker Odette Williams is available in multiple patterns, fits ages 2-6, and includes apron, mitt and 3 wooden utensils.
7) Roomii by Sound of Fun. This award-winning, versatile ride-on toy has won numerous awards already, including Red Dot, Toy Talk and IDEA awards.
8) Fiona Walker England Wool Felt Animal Heads ($110 at Layla Grace, Finalist in Best Toy). A cute, eco-friendly update on an old-fashioned decor trend, these 100% wool felt jungle animals mount flush to the wall and lend a playful accent (and definite conversation piece) to a nursery, bedroom, or playroom. Available as zerbra, giraffe, elephant, or tiger.
9) Manhattan Toys Busy Bop ($18). This colorful cause-and-effect toddler toy by top company Manhattan Toy is a twist on a classic–this time, you hit the mouse’s head to raise the multicolored tower of animal faces higher and higher.
10) Nursery Closet Organizers by Lucy Company (Best New Product). These pretty closet organizers help new parents keep baby’s closet neat, dividing clothing by age and size from newborn through 2T.